Re: hotplug, udev and usbkey question

John L Fjellstad wrote:

Rick Macdonald <rickm@timshel.ca> writes:
Does udev (or any other part of this USB issue) need tmpfs? I saw this
mentioned in one place but most don't mentioned it. I'm running 2.6.9.

It doesn't have to, but it's a nice thing to have.  Basically, using
tmpfs, you don't have to clean up /dev whenever you shutdown the system,
since it's just a tmpfs
OK, my understanding is that once this is all working and a camera or other device is plugged in, it will always be available under a known path regardless of the actual "device of the day", for example, /dev/sda1 today and who knows what tomorrow.

What is this "known path" path and where does it get configured?

...RickM...