Re: need help with tftp server

hi ya disciple

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 disciple@exis.net wrote:

> Contents of /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

good .. make sure you and the daemons know that the "root" directory
of tfptboot is " -s  /var/lib/tftpboot " insted of the
default "/tftpboot"

> IP APPEND 1

i donno what that does

>  (I know that I do not need these lines:                      )
>  (KERNEL linux.bin                                            )
>  (APPEND initrd=root.bin flavor=bf2.4                         )

actually you do .... you need to change the values for
the kernel and append to match the boot images/kernel for
windoze

> I do not have /etc/xinetd.d/tftp BUT I do have:
>
> /etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa which has the following contents:

xinet.d/tftp is the equivalent of /etc/inetd.conf and you
need to allow tftp and bootp  and verify it is also
allowed in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny

	hosts.deny should alwys deny everything
	and define what you want in hosts.allow

leave tftpd-hpa alone ...

> Here are the contents of /etc/hosts.allow
>
> # /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
> #                   See the manual pages hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5)
> #                   and /usr/doc/netbase/portmapper.txt.gz
> #
> # Example:    ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
> #             ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu

you need to turn on tftpd

sshd:		192.168.xx.yy/255.255.255.0
in.tftpd:	192.168.xx.yy/255.255.255.0
bootp:		192.168.xx.yy/255.255.255.0

> # /etc/hosts.deny: list of hosts that are _not_ allowed to access the system.
> #                  See the manual pages hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5)
> #                  and /usr/doc/netbase/portmapper.txt.gz
> #
> # Example:    ALL: some.host.name, .some.domain
> #             ALL EXCEPT in.fingerd: other.host.name, .other.domain

#
# always deny everything
#
ALL : ALL

> How can i tell if init.d is running?   I do not have xinetd.d.  If my dhcp
> server is issuing IP addresses, would that indicate that it is running?

ps axuw | egrep "inet|ftp"

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart  or   "inetd restart"

when you attempt a tftp test, you should see ftp being spawned

more pxeboot fun
	Linux-Boot.net/Boot/Network

c ya
alvin