Re: Quake1/Quake3 on Sarge

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 10:58 -0500, Bill Day wrote:
> Honestly, I am not sure, I am still relatively new to all the "dependency"
> issues.  Currently I am apt-getting nvidia-kernel-source nvidai-glx which is
> also dl'ing and installing the depends and I will go back and grab all of the
> suggested and recommend ones as well...

OK, I recommended installing ther kernel headers since you
reported you had problems compiling the nvidia drivers.

In more detail, to *run* a kernel you need an image package, according
to your platform. E.g. I have kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686 installed.

Now, if you want to *compile* any (third party) driver like the
nvidia one yourself, you need the kernel header packages. In my case
these are is the common package kernel-headers-2.6.8-2 plus the
architecture specific package kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-686.

So, and that was my whole point, if you want to install the
nividia driver with their installer NVIDIA-Linux-x86-blah.run,
which performs a driver compilation, you need the header packages
installed corresponding to your kernel version and architecture.

Especially, there is no need installing the kernel source package,
and it won't help you either since it installs in a location where
the nvidia installer won't find the headers. The source package is
not meant for just performing third party driver compilations, but
rather for building custom kernels.

Regards, Bruno.