Re: thank you! (Debian desktop question)

On Friday 11 March 2005 09:00 pm, you wrote:
> I installed KDE first, since I've used it before
> (Knoppix), but I also got Gnome... I'll poke around
> with it for a bit and see.
>
> I'm still having troubles with my mouse (menus
> disappear when I move it, and the buttons are
> "sluggish" - they work sometimes) and display (won't
> go above 800x600), but I figure I probably need to get
> the proper drivers or something.
I am taking the liberty of cc'ing  the debian user list so other can help you,
I ment for my replies to you to go there anyway.  Sounds like to me it is an
x-config thing.  Send in your video card info (type and who makes it.), type
of mouse (usb, ps2, trackball) and how many buttons and wheels it has.  We
can get your X configured correctly.  You can also cheat.  Boot up into
knoppix, copy the /etc/X11/XF89Config-4 file to a floppy or media, and boot
back into debian and as root, copy it to /etc/X11/XF89Config-4.  Knoppix
might have it called xorg.conf, if so, just copy  it and rename it
to /etc/X11/xf89Config-4.  IF you do that, rename the original XF89Config-4
incase it does not work, you can quickly go back to the same functionality
you had.

> But - I can work around those things for now.  Other
> than the half-hour or so I spent with Knoppix, I've
> never used a Linux desktop system before, so I'm more
> comfortable with the command line anyway
Many mundane things can be done quickly from the command line.  apt-get
install rutebook, go to /usr/share/doc/rutebook, extract the rute.pdf.gz (man
gzip to learn how) and read the rute.pdf.
> (mostly based
> on using cygwin every day at work).
>
> Thanks again!
Your welcome, I think that is enough to keep you busy for awhile!