Advise for setting up a linux lab

I have a lab with a lot of workstations (P4 2.4 GHz, 40GB HDD). One of
them will function as a server, but it the same hardware. My task is to
setup linux in every machine, guaranting some level of confort.

I'd like to have roaming profiles. The choices I'm thinkig of now are:
NIS and LTSP.

They both have and inconvenient, the misuse of the HDD space in every
workstation, because, if every user have its home in the server, no much
space will be used in every workstation.

I'm thinking of export space of every workstation, via LVM/RAID or
something (just ideas) with NBD, but it seems to me very error prone: a
workstation starting up after the server, a network failure, etc...

In short, my objectives are:
1. Have roaming profiles
2. Authentication against the server
3. To not waste HDD space in workstation

Ideas are welcome.

Regards
maykel

Regards,
maykel

PS: debian-user please CC'me
--

 ,''`.  Debian GNU/Linux
: :' :  The universal & free Operating System