Re: apt-get behind a proxy

--- James Richardson <james@jamesrichardson.org>
wrote:
> Michael Sry wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a problem with apt-get. To connect to the
> internet, there is
> > an automatic proxy configuration URL. Apt-get
> tries to get to the
> > internet without connecting to the proxy first.
> How do I tell
> > apt-get to go to that proxy before connecting to
> the interent.
>
> The way I handle it is by setting environment
> variables:
> http_proxy=http://webproxy.x.y:8080
> no_proxy=localhost

Yes. Could this be the cause of the ping problem noted
(see the email I just forwarded)? I don't think ping
uses environmental variables, so I don't think so.

I know one can set these variables at the bash prompt,
but I can't remember where to put these variables for
persitence. Could you help the original poster out on
that...

> The advantage of using the environment instead of
> the apt.conf is this
> also lets wget and lynx work.

Indeed.

--