Re: New package named "itools" for Islamic blah blah

On Thursday 10 March 2005 02:55, William Ballard wrote:
> "itools-islam" would be a better package name.
> "islam-tools" would be a fairer name in the spirit of cooperation.
>
> I would truly hope that a program named "ical" would help me work with
> the iCal internet standard, not calculate Islamic dates.

Brave man indeed! :)

Personally, I would prefer "i" to be used for something that actually starts
with "i", like Islam, than to be generically tacked on to everything from a
Mac.  And yes, I'm on a Linux Mac right now.

It is helpful at times to know that k, g, and i generally indicate KDE, GNOME,
and Mac apps, respectively.  But in the case of a normal word that normally
starts with that letter, I don't find it revealing, and I wouldn't want the
language to be undermined so much as to have that normal word become
revealing.

I agree though: if there is going to be a suite of tools with packages for
each language, a standard naming convention that actually spells out the
whole language would be good, and "tools" does not tell me much about what a
package provides.  Just about any package could be called "tools".

--
Lee.