NIC driver and late loading

I'm running Debian Sarge in a VMware virtual machine on ESX Server. (Yes, I'm aware it's not supported -- I used to be its product manager.) I'm using the higher-performance vmxnet NIC emulation; the driver is built as part of VMware Tools. While it reports taintedness, it loads and runs fine...

...Mostly.

The problem is that it doesn't load by or during the "ifup -a" isued in S40networking, so eth0 isn't up at the completion of booting. If I login and ifup the interface, or ifup -a, it works fine.

Is there a clear solution, or should I just resort to a later boot script with "ifup -a" in it?