Keyboard access on Gnome main menu gone

On my machines thus far, I have been able to navigate the main Gnome
menu with arrows *and* keys. For example, I'd click on the main menu,
type 'a' for Applications, 'i' for Internet, and 'g' for Galeon to
launch Galeon.

On a recent sarge install, these keys aren't enabled. Any reason why
the default was changed? Any way to turn them back on?

Also, what is the keyboard equivalent to enable the main menu? In the
manual, Section 1.2, Keyboard Skills indicates that Alt+F1 might be
the ticket, but this doesn't do anything for me. Maybe Enlightenment
is eating it...