Re: quick mini network howto

According to Paul,
> How do I set up a network between my laptop and desktop?  I have a
> connection established and have assigned 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 to
> the laptop and 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 to the desktop.  I have used
> guarddog to add this interface to the iptables configuration and now can
> successfully ping each other.
>
> I want to be able to copy files from the client laptop to/from the host
> desktop.
>
> On my old system, I would have added my laptop address to /etc/exports
> on the desktop, and use 'exportfs' to enable it, then run an 'nfsd'
> daemon to restart the network on the desktop, then 'mount' the nfs on
> the laptop.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not finding similar systems on Debian.  Right now, I
> don't even have /etc/exports or an 'exportfs' command, and 'apt-cache
> search exportfs' comes up empty.  Also, I don't see any 'nfsd' daemon in
> /etc/init.d.
>
> I'm sure Debian has an easy way to do this .. I'm just having difficulty
> finding it.

I recommend scp (installed with ssh) or rsync (for smarter
faster copying).  Just run sshd on the server.

Way less complicated than setting up nfs, and way more
secure too (yes, I know it's a direct connect, but the
skills you learn here will serve you over any internet
connection, not just local ones.  good habits and all that.)