Re: Switching to X.org

Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> You can install the x.org packages from Ubuntu.  They work pretty well
>> on a Debian system (since the are packaged by Debian maintainers).
>>
>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xorg/
>
> Is this *really* such a good idea?  They might be packaged by Debian
> maintainers, but despite so many claims to the contrary, Ubuntu isn't
> Debian.  And so in that way, it could be that the Xorg packages depend on
> other libraries of different names, of different versions, etc., that
> could well cause conflict.

OK, but it's still a much better idea than most of the suggestions I've
seen that usually involve overwriting the current XFree86 installation
or other various muckage in /usr/X11R6.  And if it breaks something, you
can always uninstall it...

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.