Re: phpbb for lists.debian.org

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:48:45 -0500
Billy Pilgrim <bpilgrim1979@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could lists.debian.org be served with phpbb instead of email lists?
>
> For one, emails addresses are currently exposed for spam harvesting.
> And two, phpbb is much better for archiving, searching, etc.  See
> mozilla forums, OOo forums, etc, etc, etc.

I certainly hope not. I currently get over 300 messages/day from the
mailing lists I'm subscribed to; I wouldn't want the extra overhead of
100KB per thread when I'm trying to read the day's traffic, plus the
delay of waiting for messages to download. I much prefer having my
messages download in the background throughout the day. And The 3-5KB it
takes per message via POP3 is plenty for me.

If on the other hand you're talking about using phpBB for archiving the
mailing lists, then we'd start having complaints that people can only
read posts and can't make new posts. Or we could try and let them make
posts to the e-mail list via phpBB and have to deal with adding extra
spam protection, adding a script that makes phpBB send new posts to the
e-mail list while keeping threading intact, etc.

I don't know about you, but if I were the webmaster of l.d.o, I wouldn't
have time to do something that complicated. I doubt the real webmaster
of l.d.o does, either.

HTH,
Jacob