Re: Auto-notify remote user of IP address change?

On Monday 07 March 2005 15:59, David Powell wrote:
> My setup at home is similar (though I've got linux desktops) and I I've
> tried to get the IP address that the modem is assigned, but the only way
> I've been able to is by visiting internet sites (like shields up) that
> report that info back.

The best way to accomplish this is to set up a dynamic dns account (e.g., one
at http://dyndns.com). Then, install one of the clients (apt-cache search
dyndns); there are also Windows clients.

I have a script that does the following:
*Checks for a change in IP address at an interval (via ipconfig or the
Internet).
*Updates the dyndns account only if the address has changed.
*Emails someone with a date-stamped log of address changes

Adding support to send the address to a web page via ftp is also possible.

Attached: the scripts
Also available at:
http://dwdraw.homeunix.org/bin/postip.tar.gz