Re: DRM in debian?

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 08:29:27PM +0000, Lee Braiden wrote:
> Hmm... as some of you may know, the KPDF developers have been in a discussion
> recently about the ethics of implementing Digital Rights Management in their
> PDF reader.

Hi Lee,
didn't know. Will look into it. At some point Linus seemed neutral about
the concept of DRM (at least in the kernel). Don't know if he has
changed his opinion about it.

DRM, at least as used by the MEGACORPS to restict fair use, only works
in a closed source world. In our world, what stops anybody from getting
around it? Look at DVD's with CSS and iTunes songs--we can open them.
But the US gov made laws just to put us in jail because we allow
technical measure to bypass their techincal nonsense that impose silly
schemes. Having control on document flow may be crucial for the FBI and
CORP-america and DRM may help this and FLOSS acceptance but DRM in most
instances is contrary to transparency. FLOSS seem --on the
surface--opposite to DRM.

> According to the latest KDE CVS Digest* they've now added an
> --enable-kpdf-drm=no option to configure.  (Seems like it should be
> --disable-kdpf-drm, but whatever).  Seems like they're planning to have it
> default to enabled.
>
> Does anyone know how debian is likely to react to this?    Will it be enabled
> by default in debian too?

I can't see why they would like it but if its DFSG-free then it may get
in.

-Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||