Re: DRM in debian?

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:34:29PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:

| I don't know how Debian would react to it but I think it would be USEFUL to
| have the option.  It would be one less reason to have to maintain MS Windows
| on my system.  I have bought two books that I can only view from Acrobat
| Reader on a Windows system.

| The worst problem I have had is with music,
| however, with music I have purchased from Real Networks.

There are workarounds for music.  I recently signed up with iTunes
(their MP4/AAC seems better than Wal-Mart's WMA) so I could buy some
music at a reasonable price.  That's when I discovered iTunes' DRM
problem too.  I have heard, though, that iTunes allows burning a
DRM-encumbered AAC file to an audio CD which can then be ripped quite
naturally.  I also came across JHymn - a program to decrypt the file
so mplayer can play the music.  (note: I'm not advocating stealing,
just fair-use of the rightfully purchased music)

| My Windows
| partition broke when I installed Debian over Xandros and that likely means
| that I will lose the tunes I have purchased.

| The new MP3Tunes is a better
| alternative to RN for me, you buy the music once and it is always yours.  We
| will have to wait and see whether more artists make music available on
| MP3Tunes, which does not use DRM.

I'll have to take a look at this.  I hadn't heard of this venue
before.

-D

--
Do not pay attention to every word people say,
    or you may hear your servant cursing you --