Re: SMS messages with Debian.

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 12:30 -0800, Jeremy Brooks wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Luis Fernando Llana Díaz (<luis@ramonvazquez.net>) wrote:
> >
> >> I am making an application and I want it to warn when some events
> >> happen. I would like to receive a SMS message in my cell phone. I do
> >> not what is the best way:
> >
> >>   - I have available an siemens A50, is it possible to attach it to
> >>   the computer and send the message throw it.
> >
> > I don't know about the A series. I have a Siemens S55 with a data cable
> > to connect it to the serial port. I can send massages through the phone
> > using scmxx.
>
> Check out the program smssend at
> http://zekiller.skytech.org/smssend_menu_en.html.  It allows you to
> send sms messages from the command line.  It takes a little
> experimenting to get it working (at least it did for me), but once you
> get the command line correct for your provider, it works well.

apt-cache to the rescue!!!!!

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of
vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."
Dean William R Inge

$ apt-cache search sms send | sort
alamin-client - Alamin GSM SMS Gateway client
alamin-server - Alamin GSM SMS Gateway server
alamin-smpp - Alamin GSM SMS Gateway SMPP interface
esmtp-run - User configurable relay-only MTA
esmtp - User configurable relay-only MTA
gnokii-smsd-mysql - SMSD plugin for the MySQL RDBMS
gnokii-smsd-pgsql - SMSD plugin for the PostgreSQL RDBMS
gnokii-smsd - SMS Daemon for Nokia mobile phones
gsm-utils - GSM mobile phone access applications
ickle - An ICQ2000 client for GTK+
ickle-control - An ICQ2000 client for GTK+
libdjbdns1-dev - DNS client library designed to replace the BIND res_*/dn_* library
libdjbdns1 - DNS client library designed to replace the BIND res_*/dn_* library
libgsmme1c102 - GSM mobile phone access library
linuxsms - Cool script in Perl to send SMS messages to GSM phones
sim - Simple Instant Messenger
skyutils2 - Many useful functions for the web like smssend
skyutils-dev - Many useful functions for the web like smssend (development)
smsclient - A program for sending short messages (SM / SMS)
sms-pl - Send SMs via Polish GSM operators
smssend - Utility to send SMS messages to GSM mobile phones
smstools - SMS Server Tools for GSM modems
xgsmlib - Gnome application to handle mobile phone's phone book and SMS