Perhaps it's a newb question

But that's because I'm a newb. I've been teaching myself the system, and I've been figuriing out pretty much everything on my own, but I can't find any documentation on this.

I set up an X server with AfterStep (ah, nostalgia) just fine. I then went and downloaded the gnome and kde packages. This killed my nice pretty text login prompt and replaced it with xdm. I want my pretty black and white text login prompt back, and I want gnome to get down and stay down until such point as I see fit to type startx. It's particularly furstrating because I'm can't even figure out how to reboot my system without opening a root terminal and calling the shutdown command manually. CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE just brings me back to that ugly graphical login screen.

Many thanks for your help,
                                    Davi