Re: How to find a package of an uninstalled file?

Ali Milis(almilis@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> Hi,
>
> May I know on how to find a package of an uninstalled file?
> For example, I was looking for "ppmtolss16".
> I tried "dpkg --search";
> but it was not there because "syslinux"was not installed.

ppmtolss16 is not a package but is part of syslinux.

If syslinux is installed, ppmtolss16 is also installed as part of it.

dpkg -S ppmtolss16  will show syslinux: /usr/bin/ppmtolss16
only if syslinux is installed.

apt-cache search  ppmtolss16 does not bring up any package here even
tho syslinux is installed.  This is the command I usually use to find
uninstalled files.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

WT
--
User error: replace user and press any key to continue.