Re: Perhaps it's a newb question

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:26:04AM -0500, Davi Rios wrote:
> But that's because I'm a newb.  I've been teaching myself the system,
> and I've been figuriing out pretty much everything on my own, but I
> can't find any documentation on this.
>
> I set up an X server with AfterStep (ah, nostalgia) just fine.  I then
> went and downloaded the gnome and kde packages.  This killed my nice
> pretty text login prompt and replaced it with xdm.  I want my pretty
> black and white text login prompt back, and I want gnome to get down and
> stay down until such point as I see fit to type startx.  It's
> particularly furstrating because I'm can't even figure out how to reboot
> my system without opening a root terminal and calling the shutdown
> command manually.  CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE just brings me back to that ugly
> graphical login screen.
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>                                     Davi

In the directories /etc/rcX.d (X being a number between 2 and 5), rename the
symlinks S99xdm to K99xdm (or just remove the sylinks, but apparently renaming
them works better).

You can probably also `apt-get uninstall xdm`, since I don't think anything
actually depends on it.

All of the above applies for GDM and KDM as well

 -Ben

--
Termisoc Secretary: http://www.termisoc.org/
Home Page: http://benalee.co.uk/