Re: Perhaps it's a newb question

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:26:04AM -0500, Davi Rios wrote:
> I set up an X server with AfterStep (ah, nostalgia) just fine.  I then
> went and downloaded the gnome and kde packages.  This killed my nice
> pretty text login prompt and replaced it with xdm.  I want my pretty
> black and white text login prompt back, and I want gnome to get down and
> stay down until such point as I see fit to type startx.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stop+xdm+from+starting%22

points first to

which quotes the Frequently Asked Questions of xfree86-common which
should be on your system:

/usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz

It seems to be safe to just remove the package xdm.

Alternatively you could fiddle with /etc/init.d/xdm or the files
pointing to it from /etc/rc*.d/---like put 'exit 0' near the top---but
I don't recommend it.

> It's particularly furstrating because I'm can't even figure out how
> to reboot my system without opening a root terminal and calling the
> shutdown command manually.  CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE just brings me back
> to that ugly graphical login screen.

Personally I just exit all programs and then press
CTRL-ALT-DELETE. But that might not work with all computers.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill