Re: atlon 64????

On (05/03/05 00:07), Hannes Mayer wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:40:22 +0000, Clive Menzies
> <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> > However, the good news is that the Debian amd64 system works very well
> > (I am writing this on my amd64 3400 powered laptop).
>
> Clive,
>
> do you have any experience with the 'apt-get install ia32-libs' method ?
> Does that work equally good as the chroot solution ?
Hi Hannes

Yes I installed the ia32-libs as per the howto but I understand that
these libraries are required for a limited number of 32 packages but I
haven't investigated which, nor established whether the libraries are
even necessary for the apps I use.

I infer from your question that you believe that you can run 32 bit open
office using these libraries; my understanding is that you can't.  Don't
be daunted by the chroot 'thing' it sounds  much more complicated than
it is.  It is effectively a system within a system and linking the two
together through a few instructions.  I'd never contmplated doing it
before but needs must and all that .... it was pretty easy (for someone
is not yet a geek .....aspiring maybe)  Follow the howto and join the
amd64 list.

Regards

Clive

--