Re: atlon 64????

On (04/03/05 15:45), Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Bruno Marcel Duarte Coscia wrote:
> >i can install debian 3.0 in a AMD athlon 64 3200....???? please send
> >me a mail...!!!!
> >

> Bruno,
>
> No need to over-emphasize.  Woody does not support x86_64.
> However, there is a project to support it in Sarge.  Google
> for it.  If not, I'm sure that some helpful soul on this
> list will provide a goid pointer.
Just for the record, I believe amd64 and ia64 to be quite different.
However, the good news is that the Debian amd64 system works very well
(I am writing this on my amd64 3400 powered laptop).

There is a very good howto at:
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id220463

The major wrinkle is the need to install a 32bit chroot system to run
openoffice.  The howto gives straightforward instructions on how to do
this.  It is also worth joining the mailing list:
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/

Regards

Clive

--