Re: Package for splitting mpg files for CD burning?

   Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:22:57 +0100
   From: Andreas Rippl <a.rippl@gmx.net>
   Cc: kynn@panix.com
   On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:13:34AM -0500, kynn@panix.com wrote:
   > I have some very large mpg files (almost 2 GB each) that I want to
   > split so that I can burn the parts into separate CDs, and then view
   > the movie segments off the CDs.  (I know that the split command splits
   > files into smaller chunks, but I doubt that these chunks could be
   > viewed as movies without first reconstituting them into a single
   > file.)
   >=20
   > I'm sure this is a pretty common problem, but I don't know the first
   > thing about video, so I'm pretty lost.  Are there any Debian packages
   > for doing this mpg splitting?
   >=20
   > Thanks!

   Hi,

   would another possibility for you be to convert the movies to divx? You
   would get higher CPU usage, but much smaller files...

Thanks, that turns out to be the best solution, because, as it
happens, the videos in question are also available in divx format.  (I
hadn't realized that divx == avi and that my video playback software
can play these files as well it can play mpg.)

But I'm very glad to have learned about mpgtx and kino and that any
ol' chunk of an mpg file can be played back.

I greatly appreciate the help.  Thank you all.

kj