problem installing tomcat

am running debian unstable and i am still new to jsp my java is pretty good though so i started by downloadin the tomcat and get it to work at first i starts the tomcat by
/etc/init.d/tomcat4 start

and i put the jsp file in the webapps folder

but when i type in my browser localhost:8080 or 8081 as i saw for debian in some sites it says the connection was refused while attempting to connect localhost:8081

i dont know really where are my tomcat conf files so if u need any config files tell me plz i have been searching for a solution for 2 days and i couldnt find anything that could help

hossam hassan