Re: What's wrong with debian?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:02:31 -0500
Carl Fink wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:34:30PM -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:
>>
>> Also, can you give me one concrete example of how this has held up
>> the release of Sarge?  What problem with what platform has been a
>> real hold-up for the Sarge release?
>
> Um, the Debian Weekly News says that the current release is delayed
> because there aren't enough autobuilders for peculiar architectures
> like S390.  You don't read it?

Are you kidding?  I just started a new job.  I'm lucky if I read
road signs.

I just took a look at the most recent DWN, which I hadn't read.  In
that issue, there are references to running out of disk while building
one package on Sparc, ARM, and s390 (the first two you're going to
have a tough time claiming marginal use, although I wonder how much
GTK gets used on ARM).  That sounds like the sort of problem that
comes up occasionally in life, regardless of platform, and gets fixed,
rather than a hold up for Sarge.  After all, the most recent release
update from Steve Langasek that I've found doesn't mention delay from
lack of build platforms at all.  Instead, at this point, the issue
seems to be that there's still a bunch of RC bugs.  Meanwhile, in
the thread mentioned above (about running out of disk building GTK),
Steve Langasek seems to pretty much dismiss the idea that maintaining
packages, at least, for all these architectures causes any significant
delay.

>> Can you give me one concrete example of how this, also, has held up
>> the release of Sarge?  The desire to include what new version of what
>> software has caused a hold-up with Sarge?
>
> I hate footnoting.  Where's DWN archived, anyway?  I don't have any
> on my system right now.

The only discussion about wanting to get the latest and greatest
version into Sarge that I remember from back when I *was* reading
DWN referred to GNOME 2.8.  But that didn't hold up the release;
in fact the release managers were emphatic, in the discussion on
debian-devel, that it *not* hold up the release.  It was only if
the Debian GNOME team got their ducks in a row sufficiently quickly,
while installer issues were still the holdup, that GNOME 2.8 would
be considered for Sarge.  They did.  But maybe that's not what you're
thinking of.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)