Re: What's wrong with debian?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:37:44 -0500
Carl Fink wrote:

> 2.  We have to get it to build on architectures that are only used by
>     the people who created them as a proof-of-concept, or we're
>     leaving people behind.

Your sarcasm aside, I've never understood this argument.  There are a
*zillion* distros out there that only support x86, or x86 + some very
small number of other platforms.  Debian is one of only a few with a
broad range of supported platforms; that's one of the things that makes
it different.  Why should that be given up?  Why in the world do we
need *yet another* x86-only distro?

Also, can you give me one concrete example of how this has held up
the release of Sarge?  What problem with what platform has been a
real hold-up for the Sarge release?

> 3.  Since it's already so late, we're going to hold it back until we
>     can include fooware 3.0, which is a huge improvement.  See, if we
>     release before incorporating fooware 3, it'll be three years
>     before it hits stable, given how slow the release cycle is ....

Can you give me one concrete example of how this, also, has held up
the release of Sarge?  The desire to include what new version of what
software has caused a hold-up with Sarge?

TIA.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)