Re: [OT] How do I look inside a .deb [WAS]: Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe)

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:51:10AM +0200, Andrey Andreev wrote:
> Hi Antony,
>
> Anthony Tippett wrote:
> >I was actually troubleshooting this same issue and replied because able
> >to figure out that I needed to change my /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.  I
> >remember trying to do that in the 2.6.9 kernel to no avail, getting the
> >same error as with the sata_sil module not loading.  Perhaps we have
> >different SATA controllers.
>
> No, no, you got me wrong. I also had to change the /dev/hdX/to /dev/sdY
> and so on. It is just that it was not the issue for me, as I was aware
> that I had to do it, and how to do it from the start.
>
> And yes, you are right, and we have the same controller for that matter.
>
> >Also, sometime ago I added sata_sil to /etc/mkinitrd/modules but it
> >never worked for me.  Perhaps when you upgrade a kernel it uses this
> >file to make the initrd.img and thus included that module?  I don't have
> >time right now to take it out and try to break the system but maybe
> >that's why mine is working.
>
> Hey, here is what is really interesting to me as someone new to Debian -
> you seem to say that installing the kernel might run mkinitrd to create
> the initrd for that kernel (which would be neat, and require me to tidy
> up my /etc/mkinitrd). Now, I don't know if it does, but I'd like to take
> a look into the postinstall scripts in the kernel-image deb and see for
> myself. How would I look into a package? (checking preinstall and
> postinstall scripts in this particular page, but generally I tend to
> like to look into everything after a while)

If you want to look at the install script for an already installed
package, they are under /var/lib/dpkg/info/  more specifically for the
kernels /var/lib/dpkg/info/kernel-image-*

If you are just trying to unpack a deb file, you can use dpkg:
 dpkg --unpack package_file ...

> BTW I did spend some half an hour trying to find that out myself, but
> the packaging tools of Debian seem "a bit" bigger than what I was used
> to under RH/Fedora. And the docs cover hundreds of pages. So what I ask
> for is a good ol' RTFM accompanied by an URL pointing to TFM and the
> chapter name to read, if possible. :)

You lost me here ;)

--
Anthony Tippett - Sports-IT - 425-443-3152