Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe)

Andro,

I was actually troubleshooting this same issue and replied because able
to figure out that I needed to change my /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.  I
remember trying to do that in the 2.6.9 kernel to no avail, getting the
same error as with the sata_sil module not loading.  Perhaps we have
different SATA controllers.

mine via lspci:
0000:01:0b.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD
Technology Inc) SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev
02)

what controller are you running?

Also, sometime ago I added sata_sil to /etc/mkinitrd/modules but it
never worked for me.  Perhaps when you upgrade a kernel it uses this
file to make the initrd.img and thus included that module?  I don't have
time right now to take it out and try to break the system but maybe
that's why mine is working.

act:/etc/mkinitrd# cat modules
# /etc/mkinitrd/modules: Kernel modules to load for initrd.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules and their
# arguments
# (if any) that are needed to mount the root file system, one per line.
# Comments begin with a `#', and everything on the line after them are
# ignored.
#
# You must run mkinitrd(8) to effect this change.
#
# Examples:
#
#  ext2
#  wd io=0x300
scsi_mod
sd_mod
libata
sata_sil
ext3

--
Anthony Tippett - Sports-IT - 425-443-3152