[OT] How do I look inside a .deb [WAS]: Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe)

Hi Antony,

Anthony Tippett wrote:
I was actually troubleshooting this same issue and replied because able
to figure out that I needed to change my /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.  I
remember trying to do that in the 2.6.9 kernel to no avail, getting the
same error as with the sata_sil module not loading.  Perhaps we have
different SATA controllers.

No, no, you got me wrong. I also had to change the /dev/hdX/to /dev/sdY and so on. It is just that it was not the issue for me, as I was aware that I had to do it, and how to do it from the start.

And yes, you are right, and we have the same controller for that matter.

Also, sometime ago I added sata_sil to /etc/mkinitrd/modules but it
never worked for me.  Perhaps when you upgrade a kernel it uses this
file to make the initrd.img and thus included that module?  I don't have
time right now to take it out and try to break the system but maybe
that's why mine is working.

Hey, here is what is really interesting to me as someone new to Debian - you seem to say that installing the kernel might run mkinitrd to create the initrd for that kernel (which would be neat, and require me to tidy up my /etc/mkinitrd). Now, I don't know if it does, but I'd like to take a look into the postinstall scripts in the kernel-image deb and see for myself. How would I look into a package? (checking preinstall and postinstall scripts in this particular page, but generally I tend to like to look into everything after a while)

BTW I did spend some half an hour trying to find that out myself, but the packaging tools of Debian seem "a bit" bigger than what I was used to under RH/Fedora. And the docs cover hundreds of pages. So what I ask for is a good ol' RTFM accompanied by an URL pointing to TFM and the chapter name to read, if possible. :)

Regards,

Andro