Re: [OT] How do I look inside a .deb [WAS]: Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe)

Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:51:10AM +0200, Andrey Andreev wrote:

Hey, here is what is really interesting to me as someone new to Debian - you seem to say that installing the kernel might run mkinitrd to create the initrd for that kernel (which would be neat, and require me to tidy up my /etc/mkinitrd). Now, I don't know if it does, but I'd like to take a look into the postinstall scripts in the kernel-image deb and see for myself. How would I look into a package? (checking preinstall and postinstall scripts in this particular page, but generally I tend to like to look into everything after a while)

Hi,

a .deb archive is really only a "ar" archive, which, once unpacked, yields
the files "control.tar.gz" (containing the install/remove scripts and
similar stuff), "data.tar.gz" (containing the files that are to be installed)
and a version file, "debian-binary", IIRC.

If you've already installed the package, however, the scripts reside
in /var/lib/dpkg/info.

Regards,

Jan

Thanks, Jan!
So, now that I can see what is going on, I can confirm that installing the kernel-image deb builds a new initrd from what's configured in /etc/mkinitrd (great idea), which explains why Antony's setup worked right away. And I shall be off to clean my /etc/mkinitrd.

Andro