Re: What's wrong with debian?

On February 28, 2005 02:08 pm, Hodgins Family wrote:
> Good afternoon!
>
> On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 22:50 +0100, Jan Lühr wrote:

> > What's preventing the sarge release? What blocks it for more
> > than one year? On the one hand this question seems to be quite
> > naive, and I don't wanna start an "Who do you want to blame
> > today" campaign but on the other hand
>
> <<snipped again>>
> Like Jan, I want to avoid a campaign. I love Debian...but I use
> Ubuntu for day to day stuff.
> I want to submit this following suggestion (as a straw man): The
> project is getting too BIG. Too many programs, too many
> platforms, too many things to maintain, too many security
> releases needed.

Yes time is the problem. Originally stable, testing and unstable
were supposed to roughly correspond to secure, beta and alpha. In
practice, what we get is obsolete, insecure and untrustworthy.
(Strong words perhaps, but each has significant validity.)

If apt were reworked to run on a calendar basis rather than a
distribution basis, I think this would resolve many probs. You
could then set your apt config to run no less than a year say,
behind unstable (or testing), which would resolve most major delays
I think. (I don't like pinning).

Is this a decent alternative to cutbacks?

	bill