Re: Need help getting started with CUPS

On Friday 25 February 2005 03:33 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:18:12PM +0000, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > On Friday 25 February 2005 22:13, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > http://cmn.lan.gnu:631/
> > > I get:
> > > Forbidden
> > > You don't have permission to access the resource on this server.
> > >
> > > I clearly need to set up some sort of access permissions for CUPS.
> > > Where? How?
> >
> > Try http://localhost:631
> >
> > --
> > Lee.
>
> But the CUPS server is not on localhost for me on my desktop machine, which
> is not my lan-server.
>
> When I do  http://localhost:631 on my desktop machine I get connection
> refused, which is not surprising and not something I want to fix.
>
> I don't want to run a browser on the lan-server machine. I don't have X
> installed on it, and I don't want to have to struggle with a text-only
> browser while attempting to learn about CUPS.
>
> Thanks, anyway.
>
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Paul,

Edit your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add the local ip of cmm.lan.gnu here which
is line 753 in my cupsd.conf:

# Possible values:
#
#     Always       - Always use encryption (SSL)
#     Never        - Never use encryption
#     Required     - Use TLS encryption upgrade
#     IfRequested  - Use encryption if the server requests it
#
# The default value is "IfRequested".
#

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
# Paul enter the ip address or range of ip addresses you will allow access to
# your cups server
Allow From 192.168.1.*
</Location>

My local network is on 192.168.1.*, so any machine on this network can access
my cups server using a browser.

After editing the file, then you must restart the cups server, i.e. as root
do /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Then you should be able to browse the page using:

http://cmm.lan.gnu:631

I verified that commenting out the line (and restarting cupsys):

Allow From 192.168.1.*

prevented my from accessing the cups administration page
(http://cmm.lan.gnu:631).

John