Re: Segmentation fault (df)

>>>  free -m
>>>              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>>> Mem:           249        246          2         72         19        161
>>> -/+ buffers/cache:         66        183
>>> Swap:          125         37         87
> It is apache-ssl which uses ..when i stop it i get a free of 67MB
> when i restart i get only 2MB of free memory..
> since its a server i need to have ssl on..
> i am scared to reboot:( cause of this seg fault..
> since its a server ..
> its happeening from few acculmulated uptime..
>
> Vijaya

Oh, sorry, now on second look I see I've made a wrong conclusion.
The memory is still there, it's just in the cache - the second line
tells the true values (used 66M, free 183M, after subtracting/adding
buffers/cache). This lonely and alarming "2" made me rash. ;-)

So it's not the memory, although everything points in that direction...
the VM wreaking havoc killing processes, the binaries with the smallest
memory footprint segfaulting...

Oooh ha. I've found something more promising. :-)

Perhaps not the memory, but the maximum number of open files is killing
your system... I just stumbled across the "VFS:" message in your dmesg dump.

Please check the output of /proc/sys/fs/file-nr, and if the first (allocated
file handles) and last (maximum number of file handles) numbers are close or
equal, increase the maximum via

echo NEW_MAXIMUM > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

Mine is showing

jcn@hejre:/etc/apache$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
1375    0       51004

so there's lots of room, but your VFS message suggests that that may be
different on your server.

I hope we're getting closer... I'm seriously running out of ideas... ;-)

Jan
--
Jan C. Nordholz
<jckn At gmx net>