Re: testing/sarge for production use

(Sorry about the double copy, Adam.  I acidentally hit 'reply'
instead of 'reply to list' the first time.)

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:29:29PM -0600, Adam Porter wrote:
> Dave Sherohman wrote:
> >Funny you should say that when I just finally got around to upgrading
> >a client's production servers from potato[*] to woody last week...
> >One of them was even the main xdm server, which users connected to
> >from their X stations, so it's not just a case of "well, nobody looks
> >at it, so they don't care"; everyone was quite happy continuing to
> >use 3-year-old versions of their applications.  I have not heard
> >about a single complaint regarding dated apps or old-looking
> >interfaces or anything of the sort.  (There are a few users who
> >habitiually gripe about "it's not Windows", but newer versions of
> >non-Microsoft software wouldn't affect that anyhow.)
>
> Interesting.  What kinds of apps are they using?

OpenOffice and Mozilla are the big ones (although I suspect there are
a few people still using StarOffice and Netscape as well), along with
ssh connections to the database server, where they run a custom
text-based ERP application (based on Symix and heavily customized in-
house).

Yeah, I just hopped over there and ps shows about an even split
between StarOffice and OpenOffice (70 StarOffice 5.2 processes, 61
OpenOffice), 94 Mozillas, 5 Netscape 4.77s, 5 Citrix sessions
connected to a Windows-only catalog provided by one of their vendors,
and somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 ssh sessions to that db
server.  (47 users are currently connected.)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that