Re: testing/sarge for production use

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:33:02AM -0300, Miguel Filho wrote:
> Well, is not that insane. I really don't see how the current 3.0r4 can
> be used this days, it's to old.

Funny you should say that when I just finally got around to upgrading
a client's production servers from potato[*] to woody last week...
One of them was even the main xdm server, which users connected to
from their X stations, so it's not just a case of "well, nobody looks
at it, so they don't care"; everyone was quite happy continuing to
use 3-year-old versions of their applications.  I have not heard
about a single complaint regarding dated apps or old-looking
interfaces or anything of the sort.  (There are a few users who
habitiually gripe about "it's not Windows", but newer versions of
non-Microsoft software wouldn't affect that anyhow.)

So long as security updates keep coming out, what difference does it
make how old the software is?  What worked two (or ten) years ago
will, in almost all cases, still work just as well today.

[*]  Well, actually, potato with current security updates from woody,
plus a few other woody packages that get dragged along by
dependencies in the security-updated packages.  Each of the servers
in question still had between 275 and 350 potato packages installed,
though, so they were mostly potato regardless.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that