Re: SARGE compatible Gigabit Ethernet adapter/card

First, you'd check what chipset a specific network card has. This can
usually be found out by googling or checking with the manufacurer.
If you cannot find out what chipset it has, don't bother.
Then you'd search for info on the net to see if it works on linux.
To see if you're current kernel has support for it (assuming you
have the source), type "make menuconfig" in the directory where it lies.
Choose "Load an alternative configuration file", and enter
/boot/config-version-of-your-kernel, in this case /boot/config-2.6.8-2-686.
In the kernel configuration, go to Device Drivers -> Networking Support ->
Ethernet (1000 Mbit) and check whether the chipset is selected, either as
a module (M) or compiled-in (*). If there's no option for the chipset,
the kernel cannot be compiled with support for it.
You could google for linux drivers or check the huge ndiswrapper list
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/List for support.
Ndiswrapper has great support, however, it should only be used as a last
way out. To be completely sure that it will be supported, check so that
there are at least two different drivers for your chipset to try.
When I bought my wireless lan card I had three different drivers to
choose from: an official driver, an opensource driver and ndiswrapper.
The official driver didn't work on 2.6 and I couldn't get the opensource
driver to work, so I fell back on ndiswrapper and it works great.
Just a little bit of advice.

Regards, Alexander Toresson