Re: How do I get sarge to tell me what hardware it detects?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:27:24AM +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> The only thing (which I used to use once in a while) that does not work
> is "sound". And I find the silence to be bliss.

There are some relatively simple things you can try.  If those don't
work, then, yes, it's probably best to ignore the problem :)

First thing to try is loading any appropriate modules that aren't
currently loaded.  Unfortunately, I don't know what driver your SiS
sound card corresponds to, but you can see the list of sound drivers
in /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/sound.  'lsmod' lists all the loaded
modules.  Here are the sound modules on my system:

jrennie@debian:~$ lsmod
[snip]
via82cxxx_audio        21820   1
uart401                 6532   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
ac97_codec             13720   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
sound                  60192   0 [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
soundcore               4420   4 [via82cxxx_audio sound]
[snip]

IIUC, uart401, ac97_codec, sound and soundcore are generic sound
modules that are loaded for most any sound card.  via82cxxx_audio is
the driver for my specific sound card (I have a VIA chipset).
'modprobe' is the command that loads a module, so 'modprobe
i810_audio' would load the i810_audio.o module (don't include the .o
suffix).  'rmmod' is the command to unload a module.  Some Googling
might help you figure out which module goes with your motherboard.
You could also try randomly loading and unloading modules, though this
might have some undesirable effects (nothing a reboot can't fix).

I once ran into the problem that my sound card got the same IRQ as
some other motherboard device.  "Endless" attempts never revealed a fix...

Jason