Re: SARGE compatible Gigabit Ethernet adapter/card

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:21:49 +0000
jim biri <jim.biri@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Justin:
>
> What gets me - is - how do you know a card is compatible before
> buying?
>
> I've got a SARGE installation, with a "2.6.8-2-686" kernel installed.
> If I do modconf, and look for modules to load - if I were to buy an
> Intel card, and I can't see anything remotely looking like an Intel
> module.
>
> I'm looking in: kernel/drivers/net module.
>
> So - if I can't find anything looking like Intel support, how would
> Sarge just support such a network card?

$ find /lib/modules/2.6.9-2-k7/ -iname "e1000"
/lib/modules/2.6.9-2-k7/kernel/drivers/net/e1000

e1000 is the driver used for Intel gigabit cards. e100 is the driver
used for Intel 10/100 Mbps cards. There is also an eepro100 that works
with some of the older Intel 10/100 Mbps cards.

Modconf isn't the best solution for looking for Intel drivers,
unfortunately. In Linux, drivers are named for the chipset they support,
not the "Name Brand marketing flavor of the month" stuff.

HTH,
Jacob

P.S. Please don't top post.