sarge; ide-detect, and scsi emulation

There appears to be in 2004 version of sarge and I don't yet know if it also exists in 2005 version of sarge a rather messy situation for those wanting to be able to burn data CD 's. Normally ide-cd and ide-detect load themselves into /etc/modules by virtue of hardware detection on installation. Once that happens, cdrecord -scanbus cannot detect the cd burning drive. Okay, removing ide-cd and ide-detect from /etc/modules and replacing them with sg sr_mod and ide-scsi gets a mess up on boot up with repeated identical errors. However burning data CD's becomes possible. I have used lilo.conf and now use grub and menu.lst with no different results. If both ide-cd and ide-detect along with scsi modules are in /etc/modules, it's as if the scsi modules don't exist and were never loaded and cdrecord -scanbus reacts accordingly. It could be ide-cd and ide-detect are badly behaved in this situation refusing to get along with the scsi modules and unfortunately cdrecord -scanbus then can't find the cd burner.