Re: sarge; ide-detect, and scsi emulation

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:55:28PM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> There appears to be in 2004 version of sarge and I don't yet know if it
> also exists in 2005 version of sarge a rather messy situation for those
> wanting to be able to burn data CD 's.  Normally ide-cd and ide-detect
> load themselves into /etc/modules by virtue of hardware detection on
> installation.  Once that happens, cdrecord -scanbus cannot detect the cd
> burning drive.  Okay, removing ide-cd and ide-detect from /etc/modules and
> replacing them with sg sr_mod and ide-scsi gets a mess up on boot up with
> repeated identical errors.  However burning data CD's becomes possible.
> I have used lilo.conf and now use grub and menu.lst with no different
> results.  If both ide-cd and ide-detect along with scsi modules are in
> /etc/modules, it's as if the scsi modules don't exist and were never
> loaded and cdrecord -scanbus reacts accordingly.  It could be ide-cd and
> ide-detect are badly behaved in this situation refusing to get along with
> the scsi modules and unfortunately cdrecord -scanbus then can't find the
> cd burner.

For 2.4 kernels (and lower probably) you need to add in lilo.conf:
image=/vmlinuz
        append="hdd=ide-scsi"

where hdd is your cd recording device.

In 2.6 kernels this isn't necessary. At least I don't have it and I'm
happily burning a backup cd every night. The hardware layer in 2.6 is
quite differentely handled, at least for CD burning.

I have the plain vanilla Debian kernel 2.6.8 for K7 (2.6.8-2-k7) and
have ide-cd in my /etc/modules.

With lsmod I see:
# lsmod | grep ide
ide_cd                 42528  0
cdrom                  40284  1 ide_cd
ide_generic             1472  0
ide_disk               19264  13
ide_core              138724  4 ide_cd,ide_generic,ide_disk,via82cxxx

There are no modules with "scsi" in their name on my system.

discover is run at bootup.

HTH,

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill