Re: [OT] Call to arms...so to speak

on Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 08:27:14PM +0000, Robert Brockway (rbrockway@opentrend.net) wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, John wrote:
>
> >Bottom line is that I was told today that most people online today use IE.
> >I just wonder how they would react if a even a portion of the Debian
> >community contacted them, then refused to sign up because IE was the only
> >option.
>
> A bank in Australia recently released a document basically saying "you
> aren't covered for computer fraud if you use software we have not
> endorsed".  They endorsed only IE of course and the irony of forcing
> users to use less sefure software in the interests of security was
> apparently lost on them.

The following is a presentation by Joe St. Sauver made to a group of US
banks on anti-phishing (and other security) issues.  Suggest you find a
cluebie at your bank and ship it to 'em:

    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/antiphishing/phishing-suggestions.pdf

Joe runs network operations at the University of Oregon, and has
followed network abuse issues for years.  Recommended.

> This was passed around user groups, etc, and a lot of people said in no
> uncertain terms they would cease using the bank immediately.
>
> About a week later the bank engaged in some revisionist history and
> claimed they were misinterpreted.  They have since specifically endored
> Firefox and other browsers I believe.

Heh.

> What's the address?  I'm happy to tell them I would never deal with an
> educational institution which doesn't understand why open standards (and
> the commensurate freedom) are important.

Peace.

    The rotten apple injures its neighbour.