Re: [OT] Call to arms...so to speak

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, John wrote:

Bottom line is that I was told today that most people online today use IE. I just wonder how they would react if a even a portion of the Debian community contacted them, then refused to sign up because IE was the only option.

A bank in Australia recently released a document basically saying "you aren't covered for computer fraud if you use software we have not endorsed". They endorsed only IE of course and the irony of forcing users to use less sefure software in the interests of security was apparently lost on them.

This was passed around user groups, etc, and a lot of people said in no uncertain terms they would cease using the bank immediately.

About a week later the bank engaged in some revisionist history and claimed they were misinterpreted. They have since specifically endored Firefox and other browsers I believe.

What's the address? I'm happy to tell them I would never deal with an educational institution which doesn't understand why open standards (and the commensurate freedom) are important.

Sorry for jumping on a soap box, I'll get off now.

Not at all. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Our society is too dependent on computers to allow them to all under the control of a small clique. It is extremely dangerous for future freedom.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.