Re: 2.6.10-4 kernel doesn't unload unused drivers loaded by initrd

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> I confess, I don't know much about initrd setups (which is why I compile
> my kernel to work without them).  But, how are these modules getting
> loaded?  Is it a function of the initrd?  Are they listed in
> /etc/modules?

Nor do I, I don't use initrd for my kernel on my desktop machine neither.
But AFAIK the kernel doesn't know the type of your hard disk controller,
thus it doesn't know which module to load, so it has to try them all. It's
done by some script in the initrd. I don't know the details, but I'm sure
it's described somewhere.

Andrei

--
andrei.badea@movzx.net # http://movzx.net # ICQ: 52641547