Re: 2.6.10-4 kernel doesn't unload unused drivers loaded by initrd

Andrei Badea wrote:
Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Andrei Badea wrote:

During the upgrade of my sid a new 2.6.10 kernel was installed (full
package name is 2.6.10-1-686, version 2.6.10-4). After reboot, I noticed
that unused disk drive controller drivers loaded by initrd aren't
unloaded. Before init runs, error messages like this one appear for each
driver:

  ERROR: Removing 'amd74xx': Device or resource busy

Moreover, in the lsmod result "[permanent]" appears next to each drive's
module:

  amd74xx           14172  0 [permanent]

Has anyone seen this? Maybe a bug in the kernel package?

This is not a bug, it is a feature :-)

Seriously, amd74xx is a chipset driver.  Without it, your machine
will experience difficulty in speaking to your IDE controller (i.e.,
hard disks and optical drives) and certainly would not be able to
make use of DMA.  You really want that module to stay loaded.

Thank you for your answer. Maybe I should have emphasized that I'm not
getting that error message for amd74xx only, but also for another about 20
modules. Besides, the machine is a Centrino notebook, so the only needed
driver is (I guess) piix. I definitely don't need modules such as amd74xx.

Again, amd74xx is what allows your kernel to speak to your hard drive.
Without it, it defaults do extremely safe (and *extremely* slow)
non-DMA, non-unmasked IRQ, 16-bit I/O.  Why do you want that?  Copying
even a moderately sized file would take you on the order of minutes.

As for the other drivers, if you don't tell us which they are, it is
difficult to provide an explanation.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez