Re: 2.6.10-4 kernel doesn't unload unused drivers loaded by initrd

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> Andrei Badea wrote:
>
>> During the upgrade of my sid a new 2.6.10 kernel was installed (full
>> package name is 2.6.10-1-686, version 2.6.10-4). After reboot, I noticed
>> that unused disk drive controller drivers loaded by initrd aren't
>> unloaded. Before init runs, error messages like this one appear for each
>> driver:
>>
>>    ERROR: Removing 'amd74xx': Device or resource busy
>>
>> Moreover, in the lsmod result "[permanent]" appears next to each drive's
>> module:
>>
>>    amd74xx           14172  0 [permanent]
>>
>> Has anyone seen this? Maybe a bug in the kernel package?
>
> This is not a bug, it is a feature :-)
>
> Seriously, amd74xx is a chipset driver.  Without it, your machine
> will experience difficulty in speaking to your IDE controller (i.e.,
> hard disks and optical drives) and certainly would not be able to
> make use of DMA.  You really want that module to stay loaded.

Thank you for your answer. Maybe I should have emphasized that I'm not
getting that error message for amd74xx only, but also for another about 20
modules. Besides, the machine is a Centrino notebook, so the only needed
driver is (I guess) piix. I definitely don't need modules such as amd74xx.

Andrei

--
andrei.badea@movzx.net # http://movzx.net # ICQ: 52641547