Dnsmasq and resolvconf was Re: AAAARGHHHHH - aptitude hosed my system

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:54:15 +0100
Bob Alexander <bob@ngi.it> wrote:

> I have installed resolvconf as a dependency (maybe just a reccomended)
> of dnsmasq.
>
> In my case resolv.conf is indeed a symlink to the file mantained by
> resolvconf but as my DNS servers are served by my DHCP server (my
> router) they are not present in the interfaces file.
>
> Bob

Received privately and responding in kind, but so others can add their 2 cents I am also posting to the list as a response to my previous post, since it is the only one I have saved from the thread.

I have the package dhcp-client installed and when I comment my static configuration and use DHCP the nameserver information is added and removed by resolvconf when I ifup and ifdown the interface.

I have not used dnsmasq but after reading up on it, it seems to me it would make more sense to...

Disable the DHCP server on the router.
Use a static configuration on the machine with dnsmasq installed.
Use dnsmasq as the DHCP server for the other machines on the network.

The readme file for resolvconf does have this note about dnsmasq:

* dnsmasq >= 1.18-2
      Versions earlier than 1.13-2 lack the hooks to interface with
      resolvconf.
      Versions earlier than 1.18-2 fail when installed or upgraded
      at the same time as resolvconf is first installed.

Later, Seeker