AAAARGHHHHH - aptitude hosed my system

Shocked :(

Please help with the first URGENT problem.

Amongst the TONS of things it hosed I have a weird networking problem which prevents me fixing most things.

Name resolution does not work anymore.

Interface is up, I can ping the IP of nameservers listed in resolv.conf and if in apt/sources.list I use an IP I can download the packages. iptables totally flushed..

What package removed could have garbled my name resolution ? I had dnsmasq but have purge it to simplify the picture.

HELP please :(

Bob

PS Writing from my kid's XP machine :(