Re: AAAARGHHHHH - aptitude hosed my system

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:21:58 -0600
Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu> wrote:

> ive had the resolvconf package stomp all over my /etc/resolv.conf file
> before.

If resolvconf is installed /etc/resolv.conf should be a symlink to the real file /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf which is managed by resolvconf and indicates changes you make will be overwritten.

Instead you should add name server information to one or more of your interface listings in /etc/network/interfaces with a line like:

dns-nameservers 204.127.198.4 63.240.76.4

resolvconf will take care of the rest when the relevant interface is started or stopped. Many packages that in the past would have handled /etc/resolv.conf in their own way have been updated to use resolvconf if it is installed. If you have resolvconf installed you should read the readme in /usr/share/doc/resolvconf to see if something your are using is known not to play well with resolvconf.

Later, Seeker