Re: which mailserver to choose?

On 2005-02-08 @ 15:10:16 (week 06) Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:

> I'm not in a hurry, so take your time with the rest of your doc, I have
> plenty to read.

Hi Ernst-Magne,

I haven't been able to work on the page yet. I'll send you a copy of my
notes offline so you don't have to wait for it any longer. The notes are
quite usable, but I would have liked to make it all bit more
readerfriendly. Ah wel, maybe the weekend after next (I'll be at FOSDEM
next weekend)...

The notes describe in detail the steps necessary for setting up the
following:
- postfix with SASL and TLS (in a jail)
- amavisd-new
- clamav
- spamassassin within amavis
- Maildir delivery with maildrop
- dovecot IMAP with SSL
- amavis-stats (not tested yet)
- apache2 with SSL
- IlohaMail for webmail

Everything except the notes for amavis-stats is tested and seems to be
OK. All steps combined should give you a secure server offering SMTP,
IMAP and a webmail interface. Remote users (meaning not logged in on
localhost) must use secured protocols in this setup (SASL/TLS for
sending mail and IMAPS or HTTPS for reading it). The notes do not
contain a full description of the postfix configuration (that was worth
a page by itself with all the options and anti-relay measures), just the
step needed to set up SASL/TLS. If you want those too I'll copy them
from another file.

Sorry, I didn't find the time to deliver on my promise earlier.

Sincerely,

--
Don't you think it's a bit unnerving
that doctors call what they do "practice"?

J.A. de Vries aka HdV
Site Security Officer
Delft University of Technology