Re: Logitech MX310 mouse

On Sunday February 20 2005 21:22, Ron de Bruijn wrote:
> I am sorry I need to bother you, but I bought a
> Logitech MX310 mouse yesterday, because I thought it
> would be "plug-and-play". But it's not (under Windows
> it does work).
>
> [...]
>
> I also have a serial mouse plugged in, and when I do:
> cat /dev/ttyS0 , I get some output when I press a
> button or move the mouse.
>
> Now, I want the same to happen with my newer USB
> mouse. The problem is that I don't know what device
> file to use. Also, it would be nice if someone posted
> his xfree86 configuration.

/dev/input/mice should usually work if you have enabled HID support in the
kernel. I have the exact same model and it works like a charm out of the box.

> My kernel version is 2.6.9 (self-compiled)

As I said, make sure you have enabled HID (USB_HID and USB_HIDINPUT) support
and the proper OHCI/UHCI support for your USB host.

My XF86Config-4 section looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
        Option          "Buttons"               "8"
EndSection

Then I did some fiddling with the button mapping via xmodmap:
pointer = 1 6 3 4 5 2 7 8

This places the "middle" mouse button for pasting on the left thumb button
which is IMO better than the wheel button.

> I also used the PS/2 convertor that's supplied with
> the mouse. Nothing worked.

For this, you need INPUT_MOUSE, MOUSE_PS2 and probably SERIO_SERPORT which
tended to do some funny stuff if not enabled, at least in the early 2.6
revisions.

Another possibility would be that your mouse is just broken.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de